Saturday, June 27, 2009

Welcome to Mama Bird's Feathered Friends

My husband and I so enjoy feeding the winter birds, and watching them from our kitchen windows..and I had the bright idea of being able to hear them as they feed out there..well, we tried rigging up a baby monitor to do the trick, but it really didn't work the way we wanted it to, so the next best idea of mine was to buy a finch, their voice is so cheerful..so I was getting a friend of mine to get a baby ready for me..In the meantime,we had gone to farm /bird auction to get some layers and turkeys for our hobby farm.It was a cold and rainy day in may, and I was hoping to make it a short day so I could get back home and have a nice cuppa tea and warm up! but then,I saw a poor shivering cockatiel in a box hardly big enough to turn around in..so we stayed a bit longer to see how much she would go for...well, of course, as soon as we bought her, I opened her cage grabbed her and tucked her under my sweater..and so it began....and like most things around here,it grew so gradually..and before I realized it,it turned into a lot of birds!, and of course, they decided to start making friends,and get even friendlier, and at the present time there are approximately 50+ in here! and the figures go up during breeding season, and then there are some strange little ones that look like bald miniature teradactals in their nursery quarters, while I hand feed, and raise them to be friendly little feathered friends for their new owner...And I figured once our boys were grown I would no longer have any middle of the night feedings to do ever again!, Boy was I wrong!

No comments:

Post a Comment